Friday, 14 December 2007

Doughnut french toast

I was curious about this recipe from the moment I heard about it, not to mention sceptical!!. having recently gotten around to making it, I can say I was pleasantly surprised. perhaps it was mind over matter but really it did seem to taste like doughnuts!!







- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 60ml full-fat milk
- 4 slices from a small white loaf
or 2 slices from a large white loaf. Each large slice cut in half.
- 25g butter plus a drop of flavourless oil for frying- 50g caster sugar


Method

1. Beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla in a wide, shallow bowl.

2. Soak the bread halves in the eggy mixture for 5 minutes a side.

3. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan, and fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts on both sides.

4. Put the sugar on a plate and then dip the cooked bread in it until coated like a sugared doughnut.

Serves 2.

9 comments:

Happy cook said...

About the last post wonderful maple chicken.
I too make this french toast.
Here in Belgium they call it Verloren brood means lost bread as in the early times they made this toast when the bread was old.
Looks delicious. My daughter loves when i make this

Rosie said...

This is just right up my street in comfort food - delicious mmmmmmm... I will be trying this recipe out very very soon and thanks for sharing :)

Rosie x

Kay said...

I usually make french toast, as my kids love them. But I have never used vanilla in it. I need to try this version of french toast,certainly.

Cooking and the City said...

Happy Cook thank you for your kind comments and for the story about french toast in Belgium, I didn't know that.

Rosie thank you, let me know what you think if you try it.

Kay, thanks for visiting my blog, hope you visit again soon!

Jeena said...

Great french toast recipe a real sweet treat, it looks lovely. :-)

ruthEbabes said...

Hey thanks for stopping by my blog!

Have to say I'm glad you told me about yours, some amazing recipes on here.... I'll be adding you to my RSS reader and when I get the chance add ing you to the list of blogs linked on mine.

Keep up the great cooking! And keep blogging about it!!!

Ruth

Cooking and the City said...

Hi Jeena, thanks for stopping by & your kind words.

Ruth thanks for visiting and for your lovely encouraging words. I'll add you to my links!

Michelle said...

yay a melbournite!

I just watched nigellas vid and i googled the recipe and found your page...

Is it really as good as you say?

I'm gonna try out out now!

Cooking and the City said...

Michelle thanks for stopping by! please do try the doughnut french toast as it really is good. hope that you enjoy it :-)


Dell xo