I was curious about this recipe from the moment I heard about it, not to mention sceptical!!. having recently gotten around to making it, I can say I was pleasantly surprised. perhaps it was mind over matter but really it did seem to taste like doughnuts!!
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 60ml full-fat milk
- 4 slices from a small white loaf
or 2 slices from a large white loaf. Each large slice cut in half.
- 25g butter plus a drop of flavourless oil for frying- 50g caster sugar
1. Beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla in a wide, shallow bowl.
2. Soak the bread halves in the eggy mixture for 5 minutes a side.
3. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan, and fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts on both sides.
4. Put the sugar on a plate and then dip the cooked bread in it until coated like a sugared doughnut.