Thursday, 10 January 2008

Quick chilli

I recently made this chilli from Nigella express & tho its different from my usual chilli I enjoyed it & would make it again. next time I might use the chorizo (didn't have any this time!). here's the full recipe, chorizo included.




150g chorizo sausage
(not the salami sort),
halved lengthways and
cut into 5mm half moons
500g minced beef
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cardamom pods, bruised
1 x 500g jar good-quality tomato and
chunky vegetable sauce for pasta
1 x 390g can mixed spicy beans
60ml sweet chilli sauce
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
(optional, or if your canned beans are not spicy)

Put the sliced chorizo into a hot, heavy-based pan and cook over a medium heat until the sausage crisps a little and gives up its orange-red oil.

Add the mince and cook for about 5 minutes, breaking it up with a wooden fork to help it brown.

Stir in the spices and then add the tomato-vegetable pasta sauce, spicy beans and chilli sauce. Also add the chilli flakes if you need more heat or if you've managed only to find some regular canned beans.

Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.

Serves 4



3 comments:

ruthEbabes said...

This looks and sounds great! I've been looking to try out some new chilli recipes and this might be a contender!

I've it saved in my bookmarks of recipes to try. But I've got 1 wee question: how many servings does this make?

Thanks, Ruth

Cooking and the City said...

Hi Ruth hope your well. it serves 4, sorry I forgot to add that.

Rosie said...

Another great recipe! I'm always on the look out for twists in recipes and this is a sure winner :D

Rosie x