Sunday, 24 February 2008

Chocolate French Toast



I can't honestly say that this recipe is quick & easy as I did find it rather fiddly. it is however delicious, so worth it. the recipe comes from my favourite chef Bill Granger & is from his latest book, Holiday!






serves 4

3 eggs

185 ml (6 fl oz or 3/4 ) cup milk

1 tablespoon caster (superfine) sugar

a pinch of salt

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

8 slices white bread

100 gr ( 3 1/2 oz) milk or dark chocolate, chopped


to serve icing (confectioners) sugar


whisk together the eggs, milk, caster sugar & salt in a flat dish. heat the butter in a large frying pan over medium heat.


dip 2 slices of bread into the egg mixture, turning them over untill completely coated. put them into the frying pan & sprinkle each one with a 1/4 of the chopped chocolate. soak another 2 slices of bread in the egg mixture and put on top of the chocolate bread in the pan to make sandwiches. press lightly with a spatula to seal the edges.


cook for 3 minutes each side or untill golden brown. remove and serve immediately or keep warm while you make the other 2 sandwiches. serve dusted with icing sugar.

18 comments:

Donna said...

OH MY! I have often thought about trying to do this, but never could figure out How!! Thanks!! Have a happy day today!

Rosie said...

Hi Dell, this is a dream come true for me mmmmmm 'Chocolate French Toast'!! What an inspiration you are & thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

Have a great weekend sweetie!

Rosie x

Cooking and the City said...

Donna, thank you. as I said its a bit fiddly & not that pretty to look at, but the taste makes up for it. Happy day to you to :-)

Rosie, thanks sweetie, LOL I thought you might be interested, just had an inkling ;-). seriously, really appreciate your kind words!

Uma said...

Wow, it looks so delicious. Worth giving it a try!

RecipeGirl said...

Looks delicious- my chocolate -addicted six year old might enjoy! I love the word "fiddly" that you used in your post :)

Nice blog- see you again soon!

Danielle said...

WOW does that look good! I will have to make it for my hubby!!! :D

Thanks for visiting my blog by the way! i have loved looking through yours--is it OK if I add you to my side bar?

Cooking and the City said...

Uma, sweetie I appreciate your lovely comments :-)

Recipegirl, thank you for visiting & your very kind comments, really appreciate it. LOL yes fiddly is a neat word :-)

Danielle, thank you for stopping by & your lovely comment. I would love to be added to your side bar, I've added your blog to mine :-)

Cooking and the City said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cakespy said...

It might have been more complex than anticipated...but it looks very much worth it!

Kevin said...

Chocolate stuffed french toast is really good! I tried it with nutella a while ago and I really liked it.

Maria said...

Hi Dell

This looks wonderful ;o)

Maria
x

Happy cook said...

Wow this is what i call a realy indulgence. Yummy

Cooking and the City said...

Thank you Cakespy for stopping by & your lovely comment :-)

Kevin as always thank you, french toast with nutella sounds yum, & on your blog it looks yum :-)

Sagari said...

chocolate french toast yummmmmmm hevan

Cooking and the City said...

Maria, thank you :-)

Thanks Happy Cook :-)

Sagari, thanks so much :-)

ruthEbabes said...

You know I've never had French toast before but always thought it sounded tasty. And with chocolate? Sounds incredibly!!!!

Rosie said...

Hi Dell me again :D

You have an Award waiting for you on my blog. Congrats and well deserved!!

http://rosiebakesapeaceofcake.blogspot.com

Rosie x

Jeena said...

This looks so tasty and chocolatey Dell. I bet it tasted great, I love the picture. :-)