Tuesday, 11 March 2008

Spaghetti Bolognese


We love pasta in our home & spaghetti is one of our favourites. every time I cook spaghetti bolognese the recipe is different, I've lost count of the versions I have made of this classic pasta dish. the latest one I've made is from Australian chef Neil Perry & tho different from the usual in that you use pork as well as beef mince (makes it lovely & rich) and that you mix the pasta and sauce together before serving (I usually top the pasta with sauce), it is still delicious. the only change I made was to simmer the sauce for longer than 20 minutes, approx 1 hour.



INGREDIENTS

  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • ½ Brown Onion (Finely Chopped)
  • 2 Cloves Garlic (Chopped)
  • 1 small Carrot (Diced)
  • 1 stick Celery (Diced)
  • 100 Smoky Bacon (Diced)
  • Sea Salt
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • 300g Beef Mince
  • 300g Pork Mince
  • 1 cup Red Wine
  • 1 tin Italian Tomato (Roughly Chopped)
  • ¾ bunch Fresh Thyme (Roughly Chopped)
  • 100g Dried Spaghetti (Per Person)
  • Parmigiano Reggiano

Method

Heat a little olive oil in a large fry pan.

  1. Add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, bacon and salt all together and caramelise.
  2. Add the mince and a little extra salt and cook 3 minutes, stirring to colour the mince well.
  3. Add the red wine and bring to the boil.
  4. Add the tomatoes and simmer for about 20 minutes.
  5. Add the thyme. While the sauce is cooking, cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water.
  6. To serve, add the cooked pasta to the sauce, stir well and spoon on to a serving plate with freshly grated parmesan.

12 comments:

Happy cook said...

In our place also it is a fevourite dish.

Priscilla said...

Ooh, that spaghetti looks good Dell! Yummy!

Cooking and the City said...

Happy Cook thanks sweetie, I think its a favourite with many :-)

Priscilla, thank you I appreciate your sweet comment :-)

Donna said...

It looks delicious!!! I'll try it!!

Maria said...

Hi Dell

I lurve spaghetti bolognese and it was one of the first dishes my mum taught me to make ;o)

Your spaghetti looks delish!

Maria
x

Cooking and the City said...

Donna thank you, hope you like it, have a happy day :-)

Dell xo

Maria, hello sweetie & thank you, LOL I lurve spaghetti bolognese too ;)

Dell xo

ruthEbabes said...

I love spaghetti bolognese! And there are so many ways to make it, loving your dish!

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

my son loves spaghetti and it looks so delicious..nice pictures, eh !

ruthEbabes said...

PS I've an award for you on my blog

Cooking and the City said...

Thanks Ruth, LOL your right about there being so many ways to cook spaghetti bolognese :-)

Anamika, thank you as always for your lovely comments. I don't think your son is alone in liking spaghetti, my son & daughter, now grown have always loved it ;-)

Ryan said...

Thanks Dell, really glad you like it! Thanks to your comments I have now discovered your Cooking in the City! I like the spag bol recipe. I will have to post up my variation of it on my blog at some point, next time I make it!

I have put a link to your blog on my recipe site. Maybe you could link back to me!

Cooking and the City said...

Ryan thanks for stopping by, glad you like the spag bol. I look forward to your recipe :-)

Dell xo

ps have added your link, thanks for adding mine!