Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Beef Tacos

When I first saw Robin and Danielle's new food event Recipe Remix I knew I wanted to take part but couldn't make up my mind between shepherds pie or tacos. as you can see I've gone with tacos. it was a nice change using sliced rather than minced/ground beef but I've got to say my family prefer this mix (sliced beef one) in pita rather than hard taco shells. all in all I'd make them again, but prefer the minced/ground beef. this was such a fun event & a great idea!


Ingredients (serves 4)

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 onion, thinly sliced

500g beef steak, cut into 1cm strips

35g packet taco seasoning

425g can chopped tomatoes

1/2 cup water

12 taco shells

3 cups shredded iceburg lettuce

cheese to serve

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
  2. Heat oil in a frypan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until soft. Increase heat to high, add beef, and toss until brown. Stir in taco seasoning, tomatoes, and water. Stir until well-combined. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
  3. Heat the taco shells in the oven for 5 minutes or until hot. Fill each taco shell with lettuce and beef mixture. Top with cheese and serve.

10 comments:

ruthEbabes said...

Good idea using sliced beef instead of minced... I'll have to try that sometime!

Cooking and the City said...

Thanks Ruth, I liked the sliced beef but as said prefer the minced ;-)

Dell xo

Lina said...

easy and tasty. thats how i like it.

Kevin said...

Tacos are one of my favorties meals. They are so easy, tasty and fun. I like the idea of trying them with sliced steak rather than ground beef!

Cooking and the City said...

Lina thanks for visiting and your lovely comment :-)

Dell xo

Cooking and the City said...

Thank you Kevin. yes tacos are fun, they are different with the sliced steak, worth a try I think :-)

Dell xo

Happy cook said...

I have seen tacos in lot of books but never made them.
Yours look delicious

Ben said...

Hmmm tacos! Since I don't eat beef, I need to make some chicken or fish ones. But tacos are always delicious :-p

MrOrph said...

Now this is a common dish in our house. Grilled skirt steak, like fajitas, only in hard shells.

Nice dish Dell!

Cooking and the City said...

Thanks Happy Cook, you should try tacos some day :-)

Ben thanks for stopping by, I've not tried chicken tacos, might be something for the future :-)

thanks as always Mr Orph, really appreciate your nice comments :-)