Friday, 15 August 2008

Apple & Walnut Cake
























I bought some walnuts recently thinking I'd make some muffins but in the end really didn't fancy muffins, so the walnuts remained unused in the cupboard. that was untill I also ended up with some slightly soft apples that really needed using in the fruit bowl. I thought about a delicious apple & walnut cake from allrecipes.com that I'd been wanting to make & decided the time was now, am glad I did as its delicious & will be made again. . I'm sending it to Ruth for bookmarked recipes

  • 225 g butter, softened
  • 400 g sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 10 ml vanilla extract
  • 375 g all-purpose flour
  • 7 g baking powder
  • 2 g ground cinnamon
  • 3 g salt
  • 375 g chopped, peeled baking apples
  • 240 g chopped walnuts
  1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in apples and nuts. (Batter will be very stiff.)
  2. Spoon into a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan bake at 325 degrees F for 1 hour and 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool 10 minutes in pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

14 comments:

~Priscilla~ said...

that looks good, apple cakes are some of my favorites.

Faery said...

That cake looks sooo delicious I love walnuts.I will try it for christmas since we don't have walnuts until that time of the year... my country is so pathetic now.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for mom's birthday greetings

Kitchen Flavours said...

Apple and walnut cake looks delicious. Walnuts are among my favourite dry fruits.

Donna said...

Yummmmmm!!! With Coffee???hahaha..Looks Wonderful!!hughugs

Jerri said...

your cake sounds wonderful. wish I had a slice right now!

Cooking and the City said...

Priscilla, thank you :-)

thank you Faery, hope you like it if you try it (I did) :-)

btw, your welcome re your Moms birthday wishes, hope she had a fab day!

Kitchen Flavours said...

I have a suprise waiting for u in my blog. Check out dear.

Cooking and the City said...

Kitchen flavours welcome to my blog & thank you for your sweet comment. many thanks also for the lovely awards, much appreciated! :-)

Dell xo

Faery said...

I have three gifts for you in my blog, please come see

SweetDesigns said...

Apples and Walnuts in cake? How could you go wrong, throw a bit of fresh whipped cream and heaven ;).
Your cake looks fantastic!

Cooking and the City said...

Donna thanks sweetie yes it was good with coffee, LOL and tea,& even with cola and wine ;-) hugs!

as always thanks for stopping by Jerri & for your sweet comment:-)

Cooking and the City said...

Faery thank you very much for my awards, what a lovely surprise. thanks again, really appreciated :-)

Ruth Elkin said...

Hey Dell... beautiful cake! I'm sure it's long gone now!!!!

Kevin said...

That looks really good!