Tuesday, 16 September 2008

Penne Arrabiata With Sweet Peppers













We have pasta a lot in this house & penne arrabiata is a favourite and often makes an appearance at the dinner table. the idea of adding the sweet peppers was not the result of any great culinary thinking on my part, but simply because they were there & I thought, why not! I'm sending this to Presto Pasta Nights a fabulous (for all us pasta lovers) weekly event, this week being hosted by Equal Opportunity Kitchen.


Ingredients (serves 4)

  • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 brown onion, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 2 small red chillies, chopped (see note)
  • 800g can diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock
  • 400g dried penne pasta
  • 2 teaspoons caster sugar
  • 1/4 small sweet red pepper
  • 1/4 small sweet yellow pepper

Method

  1. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chillies. Cook, stirring often, for 6 to 7 minutes or until onion is soft. Add tomatoes, stock and 1/4 cup basil leaves. Bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water following packet directions, until tender. Drain pasta and return to pan.
  3. Stir sugar into tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over pasta. Toss to combine. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes (this allows pasta to absorb sauce).
  4. Spoon into serving bowls and serve.
NOTE: I finely diced the peppers (wasn't sure how they'd go with the dish) and added them
with the tomatoes. the result was they went fine & I'd add them again!

7 comments:

Happy cook said...

I love pasta and this plate looks delicious

Psychgrad said...

Yum. I could go for some leftovers right about now. I like the addition of peppers. I'm not crazy about cooked green pepper, but yellow and red would be great.

Thanks for participating in this week's Presto Pasta Nights!

Candy said...

We eat a lot of pasta here too. I loved your cupcakes!

Maria said...

Pasta always makes a great meal! It looks delicious! And can I have a cupcake for dessert?

~Priscilla~ said...

i love pasta, looks yummy dell!

Cooking and the City said...

Thanks Happy Cook :-)

Psychgrad, thank you & I had fun joining in Presto Pasta Nights! hope to do so again :-)

Thanks Candy I love pasta its so quick & easy, not to mention tasty! cupcakes are good too ;-)

Maria, thank you & of course you can have a cupcake ;-)

thanks as always, Priscilla :-)

kali-kisses said...

I might make this for dinner tonight. Thanks for the recipe, it sounds delicious :)