Wednesday, 22 October 2008

Penne Carbonara












I'm sure lots of you have made this pasta dish many times but for me this was the first time I made it. I've wanted to make this for a long time instead of buying it when out or using a packet ;) decided tonight was the night & am glad I did. I'm

sending this to both Ruth for Presto Pasta Nights and Ruth for Bookmarked Recipes.


Ingredients (serves 4)

2 teaspoons olive oil
200g sliced pancetta, roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 egg yolks (at room temperature)
2 eggs (at room temperature)
1/2 cup thickened cream
75g parmesan cheese, finely grated


Method

  1. Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add pancetta and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until pancetta is crisp. Drain on paper towel.
  2. Whisk egg yolks, eggs, cream and three-quarters of the parmesan together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Add egg mixture and pancetta mixture to pasta. Season with salt and pepper. Toss over low heat until well combined. Serve with remaining parmesan.

13 comments:

Happy cook said...

My daughter love this, it is one of her fav past dish, i make them with normal pasta

Sam said...

I probably make carbonara more than anything else, it's so delicious and really quick. Plus I normally have everything I need in the cupboard, so no need for shopping.

It looks like yours came out perfect!

Angie Ledbetter said...

This looks yummers! I love an easy, great, inexpensive dish.

And thanks for dropping by my blog.

That Girl said...

I just discovered carbonara recently, and I'm hooked!

mikky said...

and i'm sure it was delicious... :)

Cooking and the City said...

thanks Happy Cook your daughter has very good taste :-)

Sam thank you! it really is a pantry dish isn't it :-)

Ruth Daniels said...

I can't think of a better "comfort food" than this. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Cooking and the City said...

Angie thanks for stopping by & your sweet comment. I enjoyed your blog & I'll be sure to visit again :-)

thanks! that girl! isn't it delicious :-)

Mikky it was good, thanks for stopping by :-)

Ruth, thanks I love PPN & hope to join in often :-)

Donna said...

Looks Yummy!! Great meal for cold weather too!!! Happy cooking sweetie!hughugs

Foodycat said...

I don't put cream in mine, but I always love it when other people do!

Jaime said...

yum! i love carbonara :)

Cooking and the City said...

Donna, thanks as always :-)

Foodycat, thank you! :-)

Jaime, thanks for stopping by, really appreciate it! :-)

Ruth E said...

Hey Dell, I loooove carbonara! You've reminded me that I've not had any in a while! I'll have to fix that.

Thanks for sending this into the round up

PS love the change of look on your blog