I really haven't been cooking anything new recently so decide to change that tonight and cook something I'd been meaning to try for a while. I found a recipe for sweet & sour meatballs in super food ideas magazine a while ago, I decided it was time I tried them and I'm glad I did as they were really tasty & will be made again. am sending this to Ruth for bookmarked recipe's.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 750g lean beef mince
- 1 small brown onion, grated
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 440g can pineapple pieces in natural juice
- red capsicum (diced)
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 3cm piece ginger, peeled, grated
- rice to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine mince, onion, breadcrumbs and egg in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into small balls. Place on a large plate.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add one-third of meatballs. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, gently shaking pan often to brown meatballs evenly. Transfer to an 8-cup capacity, shallow casserole dish. Repeat with remaining two batches of mixture.
- Drain pineapple juice into a bowl. Add cornflour. Stir until smooth. Stir in vinegar, sugar, soy, tomato sauce, ginger, pineapple pieces, capsicum and 1/2 cup water. Pour over meatballs.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce has slightly thickened. Arrange rice in serving bowls. Spoon over meatballs and sauce. Serve.