Monday, 20 October 2008

Sweet & Sour Meatballs















I really haven't been cooking anything new recently so decide to change that tonight and cook something I'd been meaning to try for a while. I found a recipe for sweet & sour meatballs in super food ideas magazine a while ago, I decided it was time I tried them and I'm glad I did as they were really tasty & will be made again. am sending this to Ruth for bookmarked recipe's.

Ingredients (serves 4)

  • 750g lean beef mince
  • 1 small brown onion, grated
  • 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil
  • 440g can pineapple pieces in natural juice
  • red capsicum (diced)
  • 2 tablespoons cornflour
  • 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
  • 3cm piece ginger, peeled, grated
  • rice to serve

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine mince, onion, breadcrumbs and egg in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well. Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into small balls. Place on a large plate.
  2. Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add one-third of meatballs. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, gently shaking pan often to brown meatballs evenly. Transfer to an 8-cup capacity, shallow casserole dish. Repeat with remaining two batches of mixture.
  3. Drain pineapple juice into a bowl. Add cornflour. Stir until smooth. Stir in vinegar, sugar, soy, tomato sauce, ginger, pineapple pieces, capsicum and 1/2 cup water. Pour over meatballs.
  4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce has slightly thickened. Arrange rice in serving bowls. Spoon over meatballs and sauce. Serve.

8 comments:

Sam said...

I'm a big fan of meatballs, I've always made them with a tomato sauce though.
This looks like a tasty alternative, they look really good!

Happy cook said...

I am sure if i make this for my daughter she will love it.
Lokks so yumm

That Girl said...

Meatballs are such a great and easy dinner!

Kevin said...

I like the sweet and sour combo with pineapple and those meatballs look good!

Cooking and the City said...

Sam thank you! I usually do a tomato sauce too but this was nice for a change :-)

Happy Cook, as always thank you, I think your daughter would love them :-)

thanks that girl :-)

thank you as always Kevin :-)

We Are Never Full said...

omg, these are totally bringing back memories! my nana used to make something like these.

Cooking and the City said...

We are never full,

thanks for stopping by I'm glad the recipes brought back memories, I know from my childrens experience (& my own)that Nana's recipe's are full of memories and love! :-)

Dell :) xxoo

Robin said...

Mmmm...these look great!