Monday, 17 November 2008

Cinnamon Tea Cake















I love cinnamon tea cake but am usually guilty of using a packet mix.

Not too long ago I saw a recipe for one in Fresh Living magazine and decided to have a go making it from scratch, I finally got around to it over the weekend.

I'm sending it to Ruth for Bookmarked recipe's!

Ingredients (serves 8)

180g cubed butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups (185g) self-raising flour
1/4 cup (40g) plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup (125ml) milk
1 tbs caster sugar, extra
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbs melted butter

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and line a 20cm-round cake pan with baking paper. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla together until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  2. Sift flours and cinnamon together. Fold in alternately with milk in 2 batches. Spoon into pan and smooth surface. Bake for 1 hour or until skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
  3. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Carefully turn out onto a wire rack. Mix extra sugar, cinnamon and melted butter together. Pour over cake and set aside to cool. Serve.

8 comments:

Happy cook said...

Love the colour of that cake and i can smell the delicious aroma from that cake.

That Girl said...

Tea cakes are like the perfect cross between crackers and cookies!

Donna said...

I keep checking my mailbox for cake.....hahahaa...looks great!!hughugs

Ruth E said...

I love the sound of this loaf - the "glaze" on top looks beautiful.

Thanks again for sending it into bookmarked recipes

Kevin said...

Cinnamon tea cake sounds good!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Yummers. Bet that'd be killer sliced, buttered and run under the broiler for breakfast!

Thanks for stopping by my place.

Foodycat said...

2 slices and a cup of tea please!

Cooking and the City said...

Thank you Happy Cook, it did smell good :-)

That Girl, I love tea cakes! thanks for stopping by :-)

Donna, maybe the birds are getting em cos LOL I'm sending cake ;) thanks sweetie :-)

Ruth as always thanks, I love the glaze too :-)