I hadn't made a chocolate cake for a while despite several requests to do so. I also had some oranges that needed using so decided to make a chocolate orange cake! the result was delicious!
Ingredients (serves 8)Melted butter, to grease
270g (1 1/3 cups, firmly packed) brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
100 butter, cubed
50g (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 cups self-raising flour
2 tbs plain flour
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1/2 cup choc chips
juice & rind of 2 orange
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Brush a deep, round, 20cm (base measurement) cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base and sides of the pan with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the sugar, milk and butter in a large saucepan. Use a fine sieve to sift the cocoa and bicarbonate of soda over the mixture. Place the pan over medium-low heat and use a whisk to stir until the mixture is smooth (don't boil the mixture). Remove the pan from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly, add in rind & juice.
- Use a sieve to sift half of each the self-raising and plain flours into the pan. Use the whisk to stir until the mixture is smooth. Repeat with the remaining flours. Add the eggs and continue to stir until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan and gently tap the pan on a bench to release any large air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Set aside for 2 minutes before turning onto a wire rack. Set aside for 1 3/4 hours or until completely cool.
- ice with chocolate icing & top with grated chocolate if liked