Thursday, 12 February 2009

Beef Goulash













Due to running out of idea's for hot weather meals and the need for something other than salads, but not wanting to heat up the kitchen too much, lately I've been turning to my slow cooker. I made this version of beef goulash in my slow cooker recently and it was delicious so will be made again. I'm sending it to Sandra who hosts a wonderful weekly event called Slow Cooking Thursday. please check it out for lots of great slow cooker meals.

Beef Goulash

1kg round or any stewing steak (trimmed & diced approx 1 inch)
1/2 cup flour
1 table spoon oil
60gr butter
2 medium onions chopped
approx 1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon paprika
beef stock cube
1/2 cup dry red wine (or extra stock)
4 tomatoes chopped (or 1 440gr can)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/4 to 1/2 cup tomato puree
1 bay leaf
salt & pepper to taste

coat beef in flour & brown in pan, put in slow cooker. brown onion in pan and add to beef in slow cooker, add chopped tomatoes too. combine water, stock cube, paprika, wine, tomato paste, part of tomato puree (you may or may not need it all) and poor over meat, onions and tomato in slow cooker) cook on low approx 8 hours or depending on your cookers times. if desred stir in some sour cream just before serving. I also boiled some penne pasta seperately to serve with it.

15 comments:

Jen said...

This looks really good. I have most of the ingredients here. I may have to make this soon! Have a great day and thanks for sharing.

Happy cook said...

I love goulash and your looks yummy yumm.

Sara said...

This looks like such a great slow cooker recipe! I just love my slow cooker, but I don't use it nearly enough.

Cooking and the City said...

Jen your very welcome & thank you! I hope you have a great day too :-)

Happy Cook thanks sweetie! my OH is Croation and like you loves goulash. its good with mash too, yum :-)

Sara thanks for stopping by! are'nt slow cookers just so handy? I love using mine :-)

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

I've never had goulash before. It looks pretty good!

Desia said...

Thanks for the comment about the crockpot meatloaf, Dellene.
I am bookmarking your lovely cooking blog, there is much to read and try here, and I need time, so it will have to be done later!

That Girl said...

Oh Goulash always reminds me of Eastern Europe! I miss that food!

Sandra said...

Ooohhh I love goulash, YUM. Thanks for the recipe :)

Maria said...

I haven't had this since I was a kid...memories!

Mari said...

Sounds good! I think my family will like this!

Ruth E said...

I'd love a slow cooker! This looks so yum and great for breaking the hot weather meal cycle up a bit.

Cooking and the City said...

Jerri thank you, I hope you try goulash as its really tasty :-)

Desia, welcome to my blog & thanks so much for your sweet comments :-)

Cooking and the City said...

That Girl, thanks for stopping by, please can I ask why you miss Eatern Europe food? tho I don't often post about it (delicious but not pretty food, so thought no one would be interested) its the food we often eat every day) it is delicious tho :-)

Sandra your welcome & I love your slow cooking event & your blog :-)

Maria, thanks hope they were happy memories :-)

Mari thank you & if you try it, hope the family enjoy it :-)

Ruth I love my slow cooker, you should get one & LOL seeing your OH is not keen on pasta, goulash is good with mash too ;) :-)

Sam said...

I haven't made Goulash in years, it's about time I made it again, this looks delicious!

Snow White said...

that looks really good. thank you for stopping by and saying hello!