Monday, 16 February 2009

Sticky Sesame & Honey Chicken















I've had a bottle of sesame oil in the cupboard for a while (still good) and had been looking for recipes to use it in! one night when the weather was warm but not too warm to make BBQ'ng against the law I remembered the simple but delicious looking chicken drumstick recipe I'd been wanting to try. despite the fact they stuck to the grill & the skin came off :( they still tasted good & yes I'll work on the sticking bit! I'm sending this to Ruth's Bookmarked Recipes this week hosted by Siri.


Preparation Time

10 - 70 minutes

Cooking Time

12 minutes

Ingredients (serves 4)

1/2 cup (125 ml) salt-reduced soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
cracked black pepper
900g chicken drummettes

Method

  1. Place soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, sweet chilli sauce and pepper in a large bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  2. Preheat a barbecue grill to medium-high heat. Drain chicken from the marinade (reserving marinade) and place on the grill. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until golden and cooked through, turning regularly and basting with the remaining marinade.
  3. Remove drummettes from heat, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.

17 comments:

That Girl said...

And you did it all with drummettes, which is everyone's favorite part of the chicken, right?

Happy cook said...

Yummy yumm pass me ths whol plate. Delicious.

Dee said...

Hi Dell :)
The chicken sure does look good, and I like the sprinkling of sesame seeds!

Sam said...

These sound really tasty, It's still a bit cool for barbecues here though!

Robin said...

Wow, this looks delicious!

Kitchen Flavours said...

Wow simply rocking....Juicy and yum...

Donna said...

OhMAN! This looks Great!!! Makes me Hungry!hahahaa...hughugs

Ruth E said...

I just posted about cocktail sausages in a soy honey sauce! How bizarre! I'm sure it's heavenly on chicken too!

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

Dell, great recipe! These look really good!

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

Hey, you have some awards waiting for you over at my site!

MaryBeth said...

YUM-O...I could eat just about the entire plate all by myself....OK, I could eat it ALL myself.

Faery said...

Mmmmm yum that looks delicious, I love chicken prepared like this, is my favorite.
one question: what is sweet chilli sauce? is it hot(spicy)?

Cooking and the City said...

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments, they are very much appreciated :-)

MaryBeth, welcome to my blog I hope you'll stop by again :-)

Faery sweetie sweet chilli sauce is used a lot in Asian inspired meals. its hard to explain but its both sweet & hot/spicy at the same time. the sweet back note to the sauce makes it not as in your face hot as straight out chilli.

if you can get it I'd suggest trying a small bottle as it really is a handy ingredient. also tasty on pork or chicken burgers as a relish, yum. :-)

thanks again everyone

Dellene :-)

Cookie said...

Hi there. I'm wondering if you're still working on posting the entries for Platinum Chef. Thanks!

Cookie said...

Hi there. I'm wondering if you're still working on posting the entries for Platinum Chef. Thanks!

Cooking and the City said...

Cookie I'm really seriously glad you asked that question! I've had some family/personal things going on (no excuse I know & am sorry) and have been neglecting my blogging :(

also perhaps because I'm not such a high profile blogger (not sure?) I don't think many folk know I'm hosting platinum chef. I will post about it again (really soon I promise) and hopefully entice more entrants in this fabulous event.

Dellene :)

Donna said...

Well There you are!!lolol...I was starting to get worried...Hang in there sweetie!!hughugs
And you're "high-profile" as far as I'M concerned!!!