I'd seen this cake in a food magazine ages ago and seeing as I love limes, love coconut I put it aside to make later, (as it turned out it was way later) having picked up some limes on a whim while out shopping yesterday I decided the time was right to make it. glad I did as even tho perhaps it doesn't look much, its gorgeous and will be made many times again! this is my entry for Bookmarked Recipes a fabulous weekly event started by Ruth and this week hosted by Divya at Dil Se
Ingredients (serves 8)125g butter, chopped
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1 1/4 cups caster sugar
1 1/4 cups desiccated coconut
Lime syrup3 limes, rind finely shredded, juiced
1/2 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and line a 6cm deep, 22cm (base) springform cake pan.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat (see shortcut). Transfer to a bowl. Add eggs and milk. Stir until combined.
- Combine flour, sugar and coconut in a bowl. Add milk mixture. Stir to combine. Spread mixture into pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Make lime syrup Combine 1/2 cup lime juice and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until syrupy. Stir in lime rind.
- Pour hot lime syrup over hot cake. Allow cake to cool in pan before releasing side of pan. Cut into slices and serve.