Sunday, 14 June 2009

Spiced Rice












rice is another regular in our house, we love it and eat it often. this spiced rice dish is delicious served either on its own or with something else of your choice, I love it with vegetable korma!. this is my entry for this months Ravishing Rice, Monthly Mingle, a fun Monthly event started by Meeta and this month hosted by Nags at Edible Garden.

there's really no recipe to speak of. you just need to boil (or steam) 2 cups of rice I put a bit of curry powder in the water as it gives a nice flavour without being too spicy. I love spicy but OH and my daughter don't, ggrrr, ther's no accounting for some tastes is there ;)

fry some mustard seeds, some cumin seeds, some cardomom pods and a bit of curry until fragrant. add a small diced onion, and a small diced red capsicum. fry until just starting to soften. add cooled rice and heat gently stiring constantly. add toasted flaked almonds & sultana's and continue to stir until heated through. fluff up rice and serve!

9 comments:

Happy cook said...

I love rice and love rice dishes like this.

Cooking and the City said...

thanks Happy Cook, rice is delicious isn't it? and so versatile :-)

Donna said...

There's SO many things you can do with rice! Looks Great sweetie!!hughugs

Kitchen Flavours said...

Oh wow aromatic and flavourful.....

Sam said...

Sounds like the perfect match to a good curry. Great recipe!

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

Interesting! Sounds good.

Faery said...

I love this recipe, so easy but sounds so delicious, when I try it I will only take out the capsicum.
By the way lime coconut cake is great I have coconut and lemon trees in the backyard so I had all the ingredients, thanks :)

Donna said...

Just checking in on you!!!hughugs

Cooking and the City said...

Kitchen Flavours thank you, really appreciate it :-)

Sam as always thank you :-)

Jerri thanks for stopping by & your sweet comment :-)

Faery thanks sweetie & am sure it'd be just fine without the capsicum. oh & I'm so glad you enjoyed the cake, it is lovely :-)

Donna thanks so much for both your comment & for stopping by to check on me, thats so sweet! am doing fine sweetie just really busy atm. big hugs :-)