Friday, 20 February 2015

Bucatini with bolognese sauce

I love pasta and my family and I eat a lot of it. I especially like a good bolognese, however I am trying to add more non meat pasta sauces to my meal rotation. this dish is a basic bolognese served with bucatini pasta .  I don't really follow recipes and all measures are a guide line only.

  • approx 500gr minced (ground) beef 
  • 1 small onion diced finely 
  • 1 grated carrot 
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic 
  • pinch dried mixed herbs 
  • 1 fresh bay leaf (remove before serving) 
  • fresh rosemary 
  • can diced tomatoes 
  • small jar tomato puree 
  •  2 tbls tomato paste

 fry onion until soft, add in garlic and stir until garlic starts to soften. add in beef and break up with a spoon, stir until browned, drain excess fat. add grated carrot and herbs, continue to stir. when meat is browned put in can tomatoes and tomato puree and let simmer on low approx 30-40 mins. put in tomato paste and simmer for 15 mins. meanwhile bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and cook pasta of choice according to packet directions. drain pasta and toss with sauce adding grated cheese if liked. I used bacatini pasta and can't say that I'd use it again as I found it rather too thick for my liking  but the rest of the family had no such issues.


No comments: