While this dish may not photograph well or look pretty it did taste great and was a success with all the family, so will be made again. it being quick & easy only adds to its appeal.
Ingredients (serves 4
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 5oogr beef mince
- 1 415gr can crushed tomatoes
- 1 420gr mexican chilli beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup medium salsa (or to your liking)
- 2 tsp medium Mexican chilli powder blend
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 pita's to serve
- grated cheese to serve
- Place onion in a medium saucepan fry over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes or until the onion softens. Increase heat to high, add the mince and cook, breaking up the mince with a wooden spoon, for 10 minutes or until mince changes colour.
- Stir in the undrained tomatoes, chilli beans, salsa, chilli powder blend and sugar, and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, for 25 minutes or until the mixture is thick. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, spoon the mince mixture onto the pita's, top with cheese and roll up firmly.